Selected Examples of National Laws Governing Space Activities: Russian Federation
Russian Presidential Edict No 2005: "On the Organization of the Further Utilization of the Baikonur Cosmodrome in the Interests of the Russian Federation's Space Activity"
(signed 24 October 1994)
With a view to efficiently utilizing the Baikonur Cosmodrome for the implementation of Russia's space programs and in connection with the signing of the Agreement on the Basic Principles and Conditions of the Utilization of the Baikonur Cosmodrome between the Russian Federation and the Republic of Kazakhstan, I decree that:
1. The Russian Federation Government is to organize the takeover of the Baikonur complex from the government of Kazakhstan and ensure its proper functioning. Proposals for candidacy for the post of head of Leninsk City Administration are to be prepared within one month.
The following provisions are to be made during the formation and amplification of the federal budget:
2. It is prescribed that the financial, material, and technical support for, and the utilization of, the Baikonur complex facilities used for the implementation of Russian military space programs are to be carried out by the Russian Federation Ministry of Defense (Military Space Forces), and that these functions as regards the implementation of Russia's federal space program are to be carried out by the Russian Space Agency under contracts with industrial enterprises and organizations and the cosmodrome's military units. The financial, material, and technical support of facilities connected with ensuring the proper functioning of the Baikonur complex is to be shared proportionately between the Russian Federation Ministry of Defense (Military Space Forces) and the Russian Space Agency.
3. A special military contingent numbering 16,000 men, including 3,800 officers, and not forming part of the numerical strength of the Russian Federation Armed Forces, is to be maintained from 1 January 1995 through 1 January 1997, from funds allocated to the Russian Space Agency from the federal budget, as part of the Military Space Forces for the implementation of space programs for scientific and national-economic purposes and international cooperation, and also for the utilization of facilities connected with ensuring the proper functioning of the Baikonur complex. The Russian Federation of Defense is to ensure the manning levels of the aforementioned military contingent and provide it with all types of allowance.
4. The Russian Federation Ministry of Defense (Military Space Forces) are charged with the overall coordination of work carried out at the Baikonur Cosmodrome.
5. This edict comes into force on the day it is signed.